Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Job Search

I consider myself to be a pretty good employee. I have a lot of different work experiences, and I have a degree! WHY CAN'T I FIND A FREAKING JOB????
The problem is that I have kids. No one wants to hire someone who has kids. Of course, they aren't going to come out and admit that-because that would be wrong and controversial, and possibly even illegal. Its the only thing I can think of. I have filled out so many applications that I am getting really sick of myself!
Before I had kids I would fill out an application and either get hired on the spot or at least get a call for an interview almost right away. I know that the job market is particularly shitty these day and that could be part of the problem, but I know that my availability is also a problem to employers. They see on the application that I have limited availability (namely-I can't work nights or weekends anymore). What can I say? I'm a mom. Daycares aren't open at night (not that I would be making enough at the minimum wage job I am going to have to settle for to constitute paying a daycare or babysitter) and they aren't open on weekends. My mom and most of my friends are too busy on weekends (not that I would want to put that burden on them) and my mom-in-law (my most favorite babysitter) is going to start working overnights on the same days of the week my husband works...doesn't help my situation at all! My husband is a cop so he works nights, overnights, weekends, and holidays....guaranteed. Therefore, I can't. Unfortuntately, employers could care less about that.
Argh!!!! I just need a job....one that will work with my husband's schedule. Is this too much to ask??????????

No comments: